Professional and paraprofessional job notices may appear on this page as well as in the classifieds section of local Pioneer Press newspapers which may include Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glenview and Northbrook editions.
WPL Job Application (pdf)
WPL Job Application (docx)
Human Resources Specialist
Salary: $51,930+ DOQ
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours/week. Some occasional evenings or weekends may be needed. Flex time and telecommuting options are available.
We are seeking a candidate with excellent interpersonal, coaching, communication, negotiation, and organizational skills. This position needs to develop effective relationships with all staff and provide professional HR services to the Library. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision, and provide exceptional service to employees. This position works closely with all departments to promote a positive and supportive work environment, with an emphasis on staff development and growth.
- Collaboration: Work with the Director and Department Heads on organizational development strategies, compensation data, and strategic planning initiatives.
- Performance management: Develop and administer employee communications, team building activities, staff training, onboarding, and evaluations.
- Benefits administration: Manage all aspects of confidential personnel records, process benefit documents, FMLA/LOA and medical records, worker’s compensation, and monitor procedures to ensure legal compliance.
- Talent acquisition: Monitor library compliance with hiring laws and regulations. Assist with job postings, reference checks, and interviews.
- Reporting and policies: Produce reports on key metrics, including benchmarking and benefits, compensation, IMRF regulations, and paid time off accruals.
- Leadership: Mentor direct reports and provide coaching to supervisors regarding employment issues, library policies, disciplinary actions, and employee relations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience.
- 3 years experience in a Human Resources related field.
- Knowledge of current and emerging state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment and software. HRIS experience a plus.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience with employee relations in a diverse workplace.
- Experience with benefits administration.
- Lead the facilitation of projects and programs successfully.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
Wilmette Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We are committed to achieving an inclusive and diverse workforce. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.